Monday, June 8, 2009

Water for Elephants

Dear Sara Gruen,

Usually when I pick up I book I finish it within a week, but when I picked up "Water for Elephants" I could not put it down.  I had heard so many great compliments from everyone that read your book that I was so anxious to even look at the front cover, which was interesting itself.  Everywhere I went the book was stuck in my hand and my eyes glued to the pages.  You capture the readers with the very first opening statement.  I had literally finished the book in one day.

Your book actually changed my perspective on the world in a different way, it changed my view on the life of a  performer, but mostly the life of a circus performer.  Many people have been to a circus or have heard of it, but not that many people actually know the life that they live.  Having to be packed up in a train going hours for hours without stopping into they actually get to their final destination, and then packing it back up again and start from the beginning.  Even though many people believe that the life of a performer is all glitz and glamour, you showed us a different side, the side of hard work and no play of the show business, or circus business.   Many people also believe that the circus are full of freaks, when in fact they just join the circus to find a place to belong.
 
 I realized that through reading your book the life of the circus is a really hard life to live.  With all the excitement of the circus, we really don't realize that the people that make up a show base their whole life on performing and traveling place to place.  I just really want to thank you for opening my eyes and helping me look past all the glitz and glamour and realize all the hardships and struggles they have to go through.

Sincerely,
Cydne Vaifanua

1 comment: