Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Terry Spenser Hesser's Kissing Doorknobs (Melissa G.)

Dear Terry Spenser Hesser,

While reading Kissing Doorknobs, I began to feel much sympathy for Tara. I couldn’t even imagine living my life having to do things over and over again, like counting the cracks on the floor, or having to kiss the doorknobs with all five fingers perfectly, to and from school and not know what was wrong with me at such an early age. Tara had to be my favorite characters in the book. She was so strong, intelligent and witty. She stayed strong even when her OCD slowly affected her friends and family. She had so many questions and so did I. As a reader without obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) it was enlighting to know what victims of this disease have to go through on a daily basis. I had to say this book brought many emotions to my face, I wanted to cry, laugh, I was angry, and I was really interested on how you would bring humor into this book because OCD is such a serious subject and condition. Being educated about the obsessive-compulsive disorder at the end of the book with the side notes was complete genius. I was really glad that Tara was rightfully diagnosed with OCD because as she was frightened for her well being, so was I. When I finished the with the novel I looked at the cover once more and at first when I purchased the novel, the cover and the title had little relevance to me, but at the end it was crystal clear of what it all meant.
The book was a treat to read and I hope to read more of your books thank you.

-Melissa Garcia

1 comment: