Monday, June 8, 2009

harper lee's to kill a mockingbird (traci b)

Dear Harper Lee,

To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic that is still widely read and loved. It teaches a lot of lessons about many different topics such as racial inequality and the importance of staying true to yourself and many others. I don’t think you know how many people you have taught to love and respect one another. Your book has made a lasting impression on me and many others.

While reading To Kill a Mockingbird I developed a new way of thinking. As I read, I also analyzed the characters and there outlooks on life. I took notice to what they said, did, and how they responded to others. I went over what I’d found in my head and tried to figure out why they had the mind set they where in. Then I understood that the thoughts and actions of others are different in time, place, attitude and upbringing. Not all people think like me or you. You can’t change someone’s perception of a person, idea, or way of life. The only way that you can have any hope in doing so is to try to show them in the way you see it. Then only you could debate and probably see common factors in what was said.

One lesson learned in the book was racial inequality. This was very normal during the thirties. White people thought they were better than any other race. This book shows what white people that lived in nice neighborhoods thought of African American people and even the less fortunate whites. They showed hatred towards black people and social Darwinism towards the poor whites. “Cry about the hell white people give colored folk, without even stopping to think that there people to”, this quote was said by Dolphus Raymond the fake town drunk that is married to a black woman, he was putting racism into words that Scout and Dill could understand.

The other lesson learned in the novel was the importance of staying true to yourself . Even thought Scout and Jem were at the age where you could really get influenced by other peoples opinions, actions and lives. There father Atticus was a great father in my opinion because he new the golden rule with children. "When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness sake. But don’t make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot evasion faster tan adults, and evasion simply muddles ‘em.”, that quote was said by Atticus.

In this book the lessons learned are extremely important for anyone who plans on being a successful and happy human being. This book has taught me things that are essential for any adolescent. The book is wonderfully insightful and although the book may not have changed many lives its incredible that it has changed one mind. To Kill a Mockingbird is now considered one of my favorites.



Traci Baker

1 comment: