Sunday, June 7, 2009

Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (by Karen G.)

Dear Harper Lee,

There are many things in this life that we, as people, don't quite treasure or cherish because we don't see why we should at that moment. Taking innocence away from a child; exposing them to something as life changing as an injustice world, as shown in your book, is a good example. Even in fictional stories, you can always somehow relate them to real life events and happenings. Your novel helped me understand that life is short and can be changed in as a quick as a second. You helped me realize things I didn't know could happen. You opened my eyes to other perspectives and other ways of life.

In your book "To Kill a Mockingbird" I admire that Atticus Finch would teach his children the quality and meaning of life at such a young age because he knew that soon enough, his children would become exposed to it. Reading your book was very inspirational and mesmerizing. What I liked most about your book, was that Atticus didn't do things the way everyone else did in Maycomb. He was his own person, a leader. He didn't follow everyone else's beliefs, and he stood out proudly above the rest. When he accepted to help Tom Robinson, it showed me that even when all hope is lost, there's always that one little light that shines brightly in the darkness; no matter what the situation may be. It was hard for me to understand that sometimes things like this actually happen in real life, or have happened before. The way you used your words to describe what everyone felt, what everyone thought, and what everyone saw was very vivid. It helped me see the story written in the pages. Your book changed my perspective of life and the I should live it and go about it.

In reading your book, Ms. Lee, I learned many valuable lessons. The one thing that I admired the most about your book was the patience Atticus had, and how the children kept their faith even when everything was hopeless. [Atticus] helped them understand that life isn't always the way you plan it. He taught them to stand out the way he did. Even though the children didn't quite understand why everything was happening the way it was, they had to cope. Your novel has inspired me to keep my dreams, even if they're a far reach from me and instead of following the rest, be your own person. Thank you for teaching me these lessons. You gave me that extra push I needed to move forward.

Sincerely,
Karen G.

1 comment: