Monday, June 8, 2009

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Dear Jodi Picoult,

My Sisters Keeper truly inspired me as a reader. It addresses tough issues such as leukemia and puts it into a completely new perspective as a reader. It shows the conflicts surrounding transfusions and surgeries among children. I know that it has inspired me to make important ethical decisions on my opinion toward issues such as stem cell research and artificial insemination and I am sure it has inspired others to make decisions regarding those issues as well.

While reading My Sisters Keeper I was able to develop an opinion on a new subject matter that I was not familiar with at all. I think because it was a more controversial subject matter that I really was able to read this book with an open mind. I could definitely relate to the relationship that Anna and Kate had. When Anna is forced to make a decision that could be life changing for not only herself but her entire family it puts a huge strain on her entire family’s relationship. Anna’s character was truly inspiring and I feel like her character and a decision in the book was a life changing lesson that will stick with me. This book was more than just a traditional tale of a struggling family. It gave me a new perspective on children with fatal illnesses and diseases and its heartbreaking ending is truly a memorable one. This book set new moral standards for readers and gives good insight on the struggle that families go through when children have life altering disorders. So many lessons can be learned through this book and I definitely enjoyed gaining new perspectives.

Thank you,
Kristen Taylor

1 comment: