Monday, June 8, 2009

Rowan Coleman The Accidental Mother (Alejandra M.)

Dear Mrs. Rowan Coleman,

I’ve always enjoyed reading books. I enjoy reading various genres from unknown authors to Nobel Prize winners. I recently finished reading one of your books called The Accidental Mother. As soon as I read the first page I knew that the book was different from most other books. I enjoyed the message behind the book because life does take many turns when we least expect it and the message was something I could relate with. The balance that you put in the book between tragedy and comedy was also something I enjoyed. When I would read I felt like I could anticipate what was going to happen next but it would be quite the opposite and that is what truly made it unique and was what kept me wanting to read the next chapter.
This book has changed the way I look at myself and the world through small and big details. In the book the protagonist Sophie is the last hope that her friend’s daughters can have to true happiness since her friend passed away. It had been years since she had last seen them but the last time she had seen her friend she had promised her friend that if anything were to happen to her she would take the kids in. At first Sophie has a hard time imagining herself taking care of the girls. I couldn’t understand how someone wouldn’t want to help out their friend’s children. Especially when they were the closest thing you ever had to having a friend even if you hadn’t spoken to them in years. Then everything began to make sense. She has had no experience with children so she fears that she is incapable of providing that comfort that they need. It made me think about how hard it would be for a person to adapt to a situation like that as well as what you have to give up. In the end the reader is shown how much more Sophie enjoyed having a messy spontaneous life with the kids rather than a perfectly planned life that would leave her living by herself.
Sophie is also shown as a patient person when one of the girls, Izzy, refuses going inside a car. Sophie understands how hard it must be since Izzy was in the car accident that killed her mother. A lot of people would probably have a hard time accepting that it is a step by step process that they need to go through with the child. Many would probably force her to go in the car and face her fear. Instead Sophie decides to take baby steps by sitting in the car and progressing little by little. The patience and understanding that she shows to the girls is something that the girls need in order to feel secure and she gave them that. I stopped to think if I would have been that patient and how I would have reacted to something like that. I honestly don’t think I would have reacted the same way. But after I saw how much of a difference it made to the kids it made me think a little more about how much they would need rather than myself at that point. It really made me realize how you need to make sure you understand how to react to a situation especially when it’s dealing with such a touchy subject.
I really enjoyed reading this book and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wouldn’t mind the femininity of the book. It has helped me realize how such small decisions could truly change a person’s world for the better or for the worse. Your book has also shown how hard it is to be strong for other people when they need you the most but how much you can get from it in return. This book is filled with child hood memories and promises, lies, tragedy, romance, comedy and love. So thank you for sharing your wonderful book with everyone and I hope to read more books from you.

Sincerely,
Alejandra Martinez

1 comment: